4 License system basics¶
The MOSEK Optimization Suite is licensed software which means a valid license is required. A license is provided by a license file that specifies:
- which features in MOSEK have been licensed (an example of a feature is the nonlinear extension
- how many copies of a feature can be used simultaneously,
- an expiration date of each feature,
- for floating licenses, the identifier of the server the license is tied to.
4.1 License Types¶
The license is managed by the FLEXlm (http://www.flexerasoftware.com/) license manager included in MOSEK. FLEXlm has two types of licenses:
- floating: license tied to a particular computer that acts as a token server. MOSEK can be used on any computer connected to the token server through the local area network (LAN). In particular MOSEK can be used on the token server itself. Setting up a floating license is described in Sec. 6 (Floating license setup).
- server (also known as node-locked): license tied to a particular computer that allows unlimited use of the licensed features on that particular machine. Setting up a server license is described in Sec. 7 (Client setup).
Moreover, note that:
- institutional academic licenses are floating licenses.
- trial and personal academic licenses behave as server licenses, except that they are not tied to a specific computer but can be used on any machine where the license file is present.
For floating, server and institutional academic licenses some computer-dependent information must be provided:
hostname: the name that identifies the computer in the network,
hostid: a unique computer identifier (typically its MAC address).
Instructions for obtaining hostname and hostid can be found in Sec. 5 (Hostname and Hostid).
4.2 The License File¶
A license file is a plain text file that can be opened for inspection using any plain text editor (such as
emacs on Linux, or
notepad on Windows). It is sometimes useful to inspect the file to check the expiration date, the activated features and computer information.
SERVER hulk f4ed3061a731 VENDOR MOSEKLM FEATURE PTS MOSEKLM 8.0 12-dec-2018 2 [ ... ] FEATURE PTON MOSEKLM 8.0 26-feb-2017 uncounted [ ... ]
Listing 3 shows an extract of a license file for a floating license. We can see that:
- the token server is
8.0expires on 12-dec-2018 and the number of
PTStokens is 2,
8.0expires on 26-feb-2017 and the number of
PTONtokens is unlimited.
Perhaps somewhat confusingly server (node-locked) licenses do not contain the
SERVER line, but the hostid is part of the feature description. A server (node-locked) license does not work and CANNOT be used with a token server.
MOSEK version 8 requires a license file with version at least 8. In general the version of the license must be at least as large as the version of MOSEK. Only the major version number matters.
In general the token server binaries should be as new as the newest client contacting the token server. If that is not case issues can be expected.